Sunday, April 17, 2011

New Normal

Lately I keep thinking about my "new normal."
It's things like how I feel cold if I'm in an air-conditioned building for too long and need to go back outside to warm up. Or how I never think about the weather anymore except to notice when it's raining, but not really about any forecast. The only time all the motorcycles and different roads and traffic seem strange is at times like these when I'm really thinking about it. I don't blink an eye about seeing a palm tree, they're everywhere! I kill spiders now (almost) without any hesitation. The open buildings here where inside and outside space really seem to blend is also barely noticeable. My wife mentioned the other day how she marks time differently and has a hard time now comparing when something happened here compared to previous years because there used to be seasons where here there isn't much change, except more rainy or more dry. Our months are all getting mixed up.
Kahyangan Restaurant
Also part of my new normal is my kids growing up. We went to a swim meet much of the day Saturday. It was pretty fun to watch but a lot of sitting around, too. It was fun to see my child compete. Hope he had fun.
My wife and I went to a restaurant by ourselves that night. (That is also a new thing with our children getting older. We can leave them at home sometimes.) They put us in the corner of the restaurant, which is pretty much all outside, in a little hut with pads to lean on, sitting on the floor, fish swimming around underneath and around us. It was awesome having a nice quiet corner to ourselves. I ordered some baked fish and rice and we shared some mango juice and had a good time talking. This is the kind of normal I hope will always be.

No comments:

Post a Comment