Monday, June 14, 2010

The one constant is change?

As they say, "The one constant is change!"
This is especially true with life in my new job. (Honestly, that's part of what I like about it.) This week I began my couple of weeks in a language class by myself. I am definitely getting some language practice in with no one else to make comments or answer the teacher's questions or finish my sentences when I forget a word. I think this is just what I need right now. I actually have overstayed the class time 3 out of the 4 classes I've had on my own so far because we are talking about something and don't feel like stopping. The only hard part is that I find myself thirsting for some human interaction (from a peer, in English) since I don't get any in class. We'll see what a whole week of this brings this week. It will either be closer to fluency, closer to crazy, or both.
A bunch of people from church who are also FS are leaving this week. It's going to be different, for sure. My home teaching companion is headed out, so they gave us both another person as a companion to go with us and then with me next month with the idea that he would then continue with the families after I leave. It's a good theory, but coordination is just a little on the crazy side, especially since they added households in the process. I was planning on just doing the lesson in our visits this month but find myself also doing the coordinating. We'll miss those who are leaving. It's always strange to move, especially when you are helping to plan things or talking about things that are in the near future but you know you won't be here for it.
Oh, back on language learning, I found out that both of my classmates passed, so hopefully I'll be able to eek out the same result. (I guess it's easy to tell that's on my mind a lot.)
Yesterday was a busy day. When I woke up in the morning I decided I might be able to make the first session of the temple, so I hurried to dress and leave. I was too late for the first one, but got on the second one. Then when I got home I did some Indonesian study, watched World Cup, ate, nodded off a little and then went with the whole family to Old Town Alexandria. We walked around a bit, went on the water taxi across the Potomac to National Harbor, ate, got caught in the rain, and generally had a good time. Our kids have been dying for a "night swim" so we went for one. We didn't get home until about 10:00pm. Everyone fell asleep pretty fast. I am tired.
Every time we do something now, I keep thinking about how short our time is here. We need to see whatever we can while we have the time and enjoy Washington DC and the good ol' US of A! I love this country, despite it's flaws. It really is great. Hopefully we all can keep it that way. Some things, like good values, integrity, honoring the law, respect, and other like values should stay constant and not change so we can keep our country great.

No comments:

Post a Comment