Monday, June 7, 2010

Flight

This was a bit of a weird week, but aren't they all?
Every language class was our teachers trying to get us to talk about some hot topic or something in the news for hours. Every once in a while they'll ask some point blank questions and this week they seemed to be aimed at me. There we questions like, (in Indonesian) "How do you feel about the death penalty," and "What do you think about gay marriage?" O-kaaay. But the strangest thing about the class was to think that it was the last full week as a class since the other two are taking their final test in a couple of days and I'll be in a class by myself for about 3 weeks. We've been together every weekday since December and in some ways I'm going to miss the small group. For the most part it's been very pleasant and enjoyable to be with them, plus they're really nice and smart. I also find it fun and interesting that we have a Mormon, a Catholic, and a Muslim. But the one of the common factors we share is that we're all Americans and love our country and get along well. I took one last sweaty lunchtime walk with one of my classmates as a last hurrah. Good times.
We had more guests staying with us, some friends from out of town who came to see the sites. They pretty much   did their own thing and we saw them at night after they got home, but were able to have dinner with them and some of their cousins who live near us on the last night. It was fun to see them and reconnect. Hopefully they had a good time.
We are still trying to figure out our departure and flight plans. Unfortunately, going in and talking to the travel agent didn't solve our problems quite yet, and in fact brought up more questions. I have thought that I was going crazy a couple of times and wishing it wasn't eating up so much of my study and sanity time, but hopefully we'll have it worked out soon. But, I did book my flight back home for 4th of July weekend. Hopefully we can work out the tickets so my family will also be there!
The highlight of the week, of course, was a date with my wife. We have never been to Old Town Alexandria and decided to go there on a whim. We enjoyed seeing the docks and the Potomac and the old homes and shops and narrow streets. We even saw a guy playing amazingly well on some glasses! There were some pretty cool churches in the area also, including the one George Washington and his family attended. We ate seafood, since when I get near the water I can only think about eating seafood. It was good. Thanks to my wife for finding a sitter so we could go.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Lots to plan for! I'm looking forward to the 4th! Good luck with everything, it will all get figured out. Glad you had a fun date!

    ReplyDelete