Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mangga

I love mangoes. In the states one of my favorite snacks or lunchtime additions was Philippine brand dried mangoes. Mmmmm.
Since I have been here in Indonesia, I am even more in love. I have fresh mango for dinner most every night and I can hardly even think about the rest of the food, I just want to eat all of the mango pieces. It is so good to me I'm saying "mmmm" to myself as I'm writing this. When the fruit at our dinner table does not include mango, I have to admit that I'm disappointed. But luckily this does not happen very much.
On Saturday, after visiting a factory where they roll cigarettes by hand, faster than humanly possible, we went out to eat. (And just in case you are wondering, no, I haven't taken up smoking but just though it would be interesting to see hundreds of workers rolling tobacco into paper and packaging it by hand. It was.) Anyway, we went to eat at an Italian restaurant. (Yes, they have some in Indonesia.) They had several kinds of gelatto (Italian ice cream) there and I, of course, tried the mango. It was very good.
I have wondered aloud a few times since I've been here if mango has some kind of addictive something-or-other in it. If it does have it, I wouldn't be surprised since I think I'm a mango addict. In Indonesian it's mangga, so maybe I'm a mangga addict. Can you eat too much fruit? It's too good to care. I'm just going to keep eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment