Monday, April 12, 2010

Tidak Pernah Sebelum

I really like it when I get to do things I have never done before. Sometimes I don't like it or it's painful, or whatever, and I don't really want to do it or taste it or experience it again and sometimes I do. But it's exciting to find out and I always like to find out more about things and about myself.
I did several things for the first time this week. Some I will have to do again even though I don't want to and others I enjoyed but will probably not do again and some that were in-between or I want to do again. Maybe that last sentence is confusing, but I'll leave it anyway.
Some specifics:
I went to a Harlem Globetrotters game for the first time in my life. (I didn't go alone, in case you were wondering. The whole family went together.) I have wanted to go to a Harlem Globetrotters game ever since I can remember knowing that they existed. It just seems like so much fun. I was happy to fulfill this dream with discount tickets thanks to the Boy Scouts of America. Our seats weren't bad and it was fun to watch. They really can do some amazing things, and the Generals, who they play, really aren't too bad themselves. It did move a lot slower than I expected, but maybe I'm just used to all of the things that are action-packed these days. It was relaxing and enjoyable and I am happy I went and probably won't go again. But if you get a chance, it's fun.
While we were in town in DC, we walked around since it was a beautiful day and ended up going to the Postal Museum, among other things. They had a really fun sorting game that was timed that everyone in our family liked. I also saw the duck stamp collection. My cousin, Dan, made a painting of Ducks that was in the competition for the stamp a few years back, and it may not be his, but one of the stamps looked a lot like what he paints. It was nice to imagine it was his, if it wasn't.
I also went to a local Farmer's Market, where all of my children now want me to buy sausage every time they go now. I also had fun riding my 5-year-old's scooter even though he didn't think that was very cool.
I also did what we call "consultations" with my supervisor on Wednesday. She is also here in language training and invited me to come along. It was pretty interesting and I'll have plenty of times to repeat this type of activity. Basically, it's a good idea before going out to post, (out to the place out of the country where I'll be working), to make contact with, meet, and get updates on the particular area of interest of some key employees here in Washington with whom I'll likely be making contact regularly. It's easier to work with someone if you understand a little what they deal with day to day, what the current issues are, and meet them face-to-face.
And the last experience I'll write about might be a bit of a revisit: it's taxes. But I have never filed taxes for another state before. Since I technically work in Virginia, I filed non-resident taxes for Virginia, which also meant that I needed to revise my Utah taxes and file an amended return. It turns out that I'll be paying just a little bit more than I would have otherwise, but not much. The really tricky thing is that I'll need to do it again next year and Virginia likes you to pay estimated taxes for the next tax year or they give you a penalty. So I will also be sending in something for that since I haven't had it coming out of my paycheck for Virginia. It will be much easier for 2011 taxes since I will just need to file Federal and Utah. But Utah still wants my taxes even though I am overseas. It's a complicated life, but someone's got to do it, and I'm glad it's me.
That's it. Oh, in case you are wondering, the title means "never before."

1 comment:

  1. The Postal Museum was one of my favorites! Sounds like you are really having fun & able to see/do a lot.

    ReplyDelete