Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring has sprung

The kids were all on Spring Break this whole week. The days were beautiful. The trees are showing signs of life. One of the great benefits of having a nice wife and kids out of school is that I had a ride to work and pick-up service after work. That was really nice. Now when my wife drives up to the guard gate, she rolls down the window and the guard says, "Here for a drop-off?" before she even says anything. It's also nice to escape at the end of the day right when my afternoon class is done at 4:30 instead of getting the 5:10 shuttle since my head is usually pretty cloudy by that time and tired from concentrating. And just in case you are wondering about my schedule, I usually have more than enough studying after work, which is my work right now, so it's not like I'm really done. But when the kids are out of school and the sun is out, you have to take advantage of it. I played some basketball with my two oldest, watched all of them play by the stream and around the bridge in the little park by our place, and spent a little time outdoors.
On Saturday, we went to the local Easter-egg Hunt in the morning and the Farmer's Market, and then in between sessions of General Conference we went to a bigger park a short drive from our place. We played a little Frisbee, played on the swings, and walked through the forest. The forest all around the park is so thick, it was really fun. We thought we were going to find to Terabithia or something. Oh! I almost forgot to mention that on my morning run a dog ran up to me from the side and bit a hole in my nice running pants! Luckily I saw the dog just before it attacked me and it just got my pants. Crazy!
We had a fun Easter weekend and enjoyed conference. Our older children actually listened to quite a bit of it this time, and we were able to watch it on a local cable station! I was thinking about next year in April and how if we can get the satellite of the Priesthood Session of General Conference live, it will start at 7:00 Sunday morning. That will be fun for my oldest and me to attend for his first!
At work, my language class is down to 4 people, including me. This is actually still a little on the larger side for language classes at FSI. We have such a short time to increase our proficiency that we're all trying to help each other but also competing for time with our teacher in class. Unfortunately, I am sure I am the back of the class now. The others seem to know and spit out so much more vocabulary than me; it's sad. My teachers sometimes ask if I'm okay or wonder why I am quiet. I am just having a hard time getting a word in. Some of it may be that not one of them has family with them, like I do, but I'm sure they also have plenty they have to take care of after work. I'll learn it, but I just know that I don't learn it the same way as many others. When I was learning Russian, I never felt like I was the top of the class, and on my mission I felt like it took me a while, but by the end I spoke well and clearly and with a good accent and I certainly didn't have to think about anything in order to say it right. Hopefully that will begin happening with Indonesian. Diligence and patience!
Happy Spring!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous of the beautiful weather! I am so scared to see dogs when I run! Luckily he only got your pants! Keep up on the studying...I am positive you'll be just fine.

    ReplyDelete