Monday, December 14, 2009

"Comprehension Phase 1"

Sekarang saya belajar bhasa Indonesia. I am now studying Indonesian.
This week I started the first week of what they describe as "Indonesian Comprehension Phase 1". It's pretty intense, but I love it. I have dreamed for many years about the idea of being able to study a language full time and get paid for it. Well now I'm living it. It's still a lot of work and it's hard, but I love it because it's living a dream. They have thrown a ton of words at us and some of them have even stuck! Indonesian has very little in common with the other language I know well, Russian. In some ways that is difficult because I have to learn everything new, but in some ways that is easier because I don't have as much interference. There are some similarities to Spanish, of which I know very little, but that helps. There are little things like the adjective comes after the noun and sepatu, like Spanish zapato, for shoe or pesta, like Spanish fiesta, for party. That makes it a little easier. I am good at figuring out patterns and grammar and such, but memorizing is a little more difficult for me. That will be my challenge. I'm excited for the challenge, though. It's sometimes hard to stop doing some kind of studying and do something else. At the end of this week we gave a presentation about a fictitious family, their home and car and where they live and we also created a dialogue with a partner using things we've learned like where we're going, eating, family, etc. Wish me luck going into my second week! I'll need it.
Sampai nanti!

2 comments:

  1. You amaze me. It is so fun to watch your brain be stretched. I feel good that I helped you learn your numbers....satu, dua, tiga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! That is amazing...we'd be a good team. I am really good at memorizing, but not the other stuff! The hardest part for me is to actually talk and say the words correctly. I remember in my french class I had to do a presentation in front of the class, the only requirement was that I had to teach the class to do something. It was really fun, I picked to teach (and demonstrate) how to make Orange Julius. Someday I will have time to learn Italian and Spanish. Have you started reading Indonesian your Book of Mormon yet? Semoga Beruntung!

    ReplyDelete