Monday, October 19, 2009

Oath

On Friday I finished orientation and was officially sworn in! I am an official of the U.S. Government, a commissioned officer. It is exciting and amazing to think about it. I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution and do my best ("well and faithfully discharge the duties of the Office"). I will do my best to serve my country and the citizens of my country; that is the reason I pursued my job and now it is also the promise I have made.
I have noticed that whenever oaths of service are taken that it is no longer about the individual in the office, but about something bigger and more important that needs to be done. The individual plays a part, but it is about serving the greater good and sacrificing one's own interests for the benefit of others. This kind of selfless service, (isn't service always supposed to be selfless?), interestingly also builds the individual engaged in the service. I think it is one of the secrets of life--understanding the power of service to lift and enrich all those involved in it, particularly if it is done selflessly and for a cause greater than one's own interest. The words "swear" and "oath" come from Old English. They are words that have been around a long time--more than a thousand years. They also have a lot of layers of meaning. When I swear in, which is to take an oath, I feel a weight to fulfill a big responsibility whatever the size of my particular job at the moment and to work for the success of the whole.
I pray that I will "well and faithfully discharge" any and all of the duties I have taken or responsibilities that may be mine. And I pray that I will remember the significance of taking an oath to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment