Monday, September 14, 2009

Settling in?


This week I solidified a few of the streets in my mind, found some other places that we needed to find, got the youngest in pre-school, and met a few other people. These are all good and important things right now. One of the people in charge of helping with foreign service officer careers and making our assignments told us that one of the most essential things we will do is get to know the people in our incoming group or "class." We will be helping each other out in many ways throughout our careers including putting in a good word for a position we might want, warning us of places we might want to be wary of, gaining perspective, etc. Part of that is getting to know one another. I have been able to meet and interact with a few already and there have been some opportunities to meet others. There are almost 100 in my incoming class and so there are a lot of people to remember, but I'm up to the task. I specifically remember about 13 of the names and faces at the moment and there are several others that I'll have to think more about to come up with at the moment. I have studied maps of the area this week, studied Russian, unpacked the air baggage which arrived on Friday, ate at a great Lebanese place with my wife for lunch, got my son enrolled in a Baptist pre-school, met a few people who are not new to the Foreign Service who live here, helped my wife to learn a few of the routes to important places, went to a temple session at the DC temple (and got myself there and back), set up a new bank account that will work well overseas or wherever I am, almost set up insurance on the car and our belongings that will also work with our new lifestyle, endured a couple of days of rain, visited the zoo and saw pandas and other animals, ushered at our stake conference, went to a house in the northern virginia countryside and rode on a zip line and roasted marshmallows on a bonfire. It has been fun and packed, but I am also a little bored of not working and ready to start. This paragraph is way to long and breaks all rules of good writing, but feels a bit like this week. I am ready to start my new career tomorrow and very excited.

1 comment:

  1. First- may I start at the end. Your very long paragraph cracked me up. Second- you are great at meeting people, so I know that will go well for you. Third- Baptist preschool? All I can say is Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete