Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow-what!

Okay. I don't mean to sound repetitive since I already talked about snow a few weeks ago, but it snowed big again!
In December we had the biggest December snowstorm ever here and #7 on the all time list. Over this last weekend we had the 4th largest storm at Reagan National and it was #1 at Dulles Airport. We are located a little closer to Reagan, but in between those two airports. It was one of the largest ever. If we get just a few more inches snow it will be the snowiest winter ever in the DC area! The National Weather Service says that Washington DC has had more than 13 inches of snow only 13 times since 1870. Two of them have been this year! I'm not superstitious, but am beginning to wonder if it's me. Wherever I go, it seems to snow! It's a good thing I like snow.
Because the system here is not made to have big snowstorms, it cripples the area. We didn't have church meetings last Sunday because of that weekend's snowstorm, nor today for obvious reasons. We only had a half-day on Friday at work and it's cancelled tomorrow. Our kids have missed a lot of school and will have to make up days over holidays and spring break now. And another big storm is on the horizon for Tuesday night.
Having huge storms is what learning Indonesian is like for me also. I am getting a storm of vocabulary and grammatical elements and every day I am trying to dig out. It gets tiring, but it's also exhilarating. I met with the language learning consultant this week to find different ways to help myself learn the language fast. Before I met with her I took some tests to find out about my style and natural tendencies. Apparently I have a bit higher tolerance than the average learner at FSI for ambiguity, I prefer not to have structure imposed on me and want to do a lot on my own, I have to push myself to talk more, I need to trust my instincts more, I need to take breaks every day and on weekends (not counting sleeping) to let everything sink in, and I shouldn't worry since my learning profile says I should be very successful learning languages. It still feels like I am falling behind and like I will never get to the level of fluency I need. But I can see progress. And most importantly, I am still amazed that I am so blessed to have learning a language as my job. It's a dream come true. So, I took a break on Tuesday night after the consultation and watched Groundhog Day, since it was Groundhog Day. Six more weeks of winter. Really.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome car picture. That is interesting about your learning style. I bet you are doing great at learning the language.

    ReplyDelete